Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Second Pair of Socks Syndrome


Yep, this is the second pair of socks that I knit (okay so it's just the one but there is a second I swear it!). The first pair was supposed to be for me but I made the mistake of knitting them at my sister's house and they live with her now. I figure it was worth it since learning how to turn a heel allowed me to be Zen during a family gathering for my nephew's first birthday.
The pattern (Ann Norling bought at the yarn store) is for a basic sock but the cool thing is that it gives instructions for fingering, DK and worsted so it doesn't really matter what yarn you pick. This yarn is Lang Jawoll superwash (don't remember the color). I learned several things when I knit these socks:

1) Funky sock colors are great but it's nice if you can think of at least one outfit that you can wear them with.
2) Basic sock patterns are okay but while the fit is perfect from toe to heel, they are bunchy around the ankles and I HATE that.

I was ready to call it a day on the whole sock knitting thing. I know people rave about them but I just couldn't see it. I gave it one more try and I was won over. Stay tuned for #3 socks...

2 Comments:

Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Every once in a while, I see someone's finished pair of socks and I think, maybe I'll give socks another chance. I tried them early in my knitting experience, and absolutely hated them. But I didn't really know what I was doing then, either.

But I have FOUR cute summer tops on the needles or waiting to be made, so they'll have to wait :) Maybe this fall.

2:17 PM  
Blogger leedav said...

I actually like the process of knitting socks but I feel like I have to love the finished product in order for me to justify having multiple pairs of $15- $20 socks!!!!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter