Monday, March 13, 2006

FO's from yore

So maybe I don't knit enough to have a seperate knitting blog. I feel weird about posting pictures of my WIP's. When I have a few things going, they don't change much on a daily basis so it's not very exciting to photograph something with an extra inch of stockinette. I would like to only show finished objects. While I work on knitting fast enough to make this a viable option, I've decided to post pics of some of the things I've made that I still have. Maybe someday I'll even figure out how to do a knitting gallery...
Here's today's FO:

I decided years ago that I was not going to invest in furniture until I have a house. Since I left home for college I have moved on average close to once a year. I've lived in Seattle and NYC and half way in between. It's convenient that I can move with just a car. When I moved in with Sam, the first thing we did was chuck the couch that no one would sit on because his ex-roommate's cat used it as a litter box. In the basement we found a charming, ancient wood and crushed orange velvet couch. It's a hide-a-bed, although we've never found a small enough mattress, and it didn't smell half bad. Then, a strange thing happened. I brought home a new friend and she commented that she too had a crushed orange velvet couch AND she wanted to get rid of it. It's in pretty bad shape but it fits perfectly under our picture window and who could pass up the chance to have a maching set of crushed orange velvet couches?!!!
The problem is that neither of them are very comfortable. Cushions were in order but when I shopped for them, they were too expensive and didn't match anyway. I got some naked pillows on sale and figured I could make covers myself. I thought Indian sari fabric might work. It's not readily available in Madison, though, and what I did find was out of my price range. That's when I scored 12 skeins of off- white yarn for next to nothing and a solution was found. Knitted pillows, of course! The loopy pillow is a pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation. The other is from a book of quilt patterns (can't remember the name). They may not be the most attractive pillows ever but I'm happy when I look at them knowing that I made them myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Love your pillows!

I'm the same way with posting photos of WIPs. I usually end up posting a "Just Started" photo, and then not posting another until it's finished. It's funny, because I like looking at other blogger's progress photos. I just don't like putting up my own.

And also, if I don't have a really interesting knitting photo, I get to put up kitty photos instead.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter