Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Yeah for design features!

I was so inspired during the knitting Olympics that when I had to put down my project until I could learn how to crochet, I started work on a second sweater. I had been carrying around this lovely Interlacements Toasty Toes for over a year with no idea of what it wanted to be. As soon as I saw this pattern, I knew it would be perfect. It is the child's placket-neck pull-over from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson.

I occupied myself while knitting during The Games by checking out other knitletes blogs (Holy crap there's a lot of us- I barely made it through the A's!) It was during this distracted state that I screwed up the placket and didn't notice until almost the shoulder. The placket is supposed to be in the middle! I was briefly inconsolable and then realized that this is the type of challenge that separates Olympians from the rest of us.
Normally, I would have balled up the sweater and thrown it in the corner until I could face it again. Not this time- I wanted the gold (yes, even though this was not my original project I figured if I finished this but not the cardigan, I'd get the gold either way). So I got in my car and drove to the LYS for some moral support as I ripped out all my hard work. I made the right choice to go there because they convinced me to do no such thing. "It's a design feature", they said. Now everyone I've shown the sweater to says they like it better this way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! Can't wait for Emma's kitty cat hat!

4:06 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I've made this sweater four times, for friends and cousins, and I never thought to add a cool design feature like that!

7:46 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

You got your medal up! Woo!

7:29 AM  
Blogger leedav said...

Yeah, Sam helped me. Slowly but surely I'll figure this crap out!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. As the mother of the person who had the incredible good fortune to receive this sweater, I will say that he doesn't give a crap where the "placket" is. In fact neither one of us even knows what a placket is. All I know is that just like the hat Aunt Leelee made for Christmas, he won't take this sweater off.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter