Saturday, November 25, 2006

First design.

Okay, I know that a roll brimmed hat is not exactly a challenging project. However, I am proud of myself because this is the first time that I have had an image of what I wanted in my head and I created it in knitted form. And it WAS challenging for me. I really wanted the spiral on the top and couldn't find much about how to do it on the internet. When I finally did, I thought I had the numbers right but I was wrong and I had to mess with the math for a while to get it right. Lucky for me I had chosen a number of stitches somewhat randomly (I did swatch and measure my head but I didn't know how it would affect the decreases later) and it ended up working. Here's a flat photo and then a photo of the top. I tried the self-portrait thing but getting a nice shot of the back of my head was too much to ask.
The yarn is Berrocco Ultra Alpaca color #6205 which was the richest chocolaty brown I could find. The blue is left over from the border of my first sweater. I'm into brown with blue and brown with pink these days so next I'm going to do a brown hat with pink and white argyle. Oooh, more math!

4 Comments:

Blogger Roxy said...

the argyle sounds cute though. i should give that a try.

5:12 PM  
Blogger leedav said...

Yeah, it sounded cute but I did a swatch with the yarn I had and it looked really bad. I can't tell how much is that the yarn isn't quite right and how much because I suck at intarsia. I probably won't get back to this until after the holidays since I really should be working on Christmas knits!

7:28 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Ugh. Intarsia. I made it through a baby sweater that had an argyle pattern on the bottom, but just barely. And I was so happy to get back to the intarsia-free part.

The hat is very cute! I like the blue/brown combo quite a bit, and I'm impressed you managed the spiral on your own.

9:01 AM  
Blogger fuquinay said...

That's a pretty hat.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter